Right, no frills with this one – it’s Christmas Eve, so I’m running out of time, and so are you! But I am sooooo pleased with this. After some experimentation, this is my very own recipe for buttery, rich, low-carb rum or brandy sauce and it is absolutely AMAZING!!!. I’ve already had some for breakfast (well, you know, I had to test it…..). And with just 5 ingredients, it takes literally 5 minutes to whip up from scratch while your Christmas pudding is warming through.
This sauce is free of sugar and artificial sweeteners, and it’s fantastic on low-carb Christmas pudding! (And see my new comment at the bottom of that recipe – I’ve now come up with a way of oven-steaming it for those who don’t like cooking with a microwave).
I’m particularly pleased with how my rum sauce recipe experiment turned out, because I was worried about how to thicken it without flour. But xanthan gum – easily available in supermarket baking and/or ‘free from’ aisles, and online, these days – has worked a treat.
If you haven’t got xanthan gum, it’s not essential. It just means that the sauce will be thinner. But if left to cool, it will thicken somewhat anyway as the butter re-soldifies. So it could be served like this, as more like a spoonable cream than a pourable sauce.
Use rum or brandy in this recipe – whichever you prefer. My personal preference is rum. I think Cointreau would also work well if you like an orangey flavour (but my own recipe Christmas pudding is already quite citrusy and so doesn’t need it). Or leave the alcohol out if you prefer a plain sweet sauce.
Enjoy, and I hope you have an absolutely wonderful Christmas!
Nutrition: Regular Rum or Brandy Sauce vs: Low-Carb Rum or Brandy Sauce
Whether low-carb or not, this is pretty full-on calorie-wise, so just as well you’ll only be eating it at Christmas then! But my low-carb recipe saves 8g of carbs and 30 kcal per serving over the same recipe if it were made with sugar. And you may well be saving a lot more carbs over other shop-bought or homemade recipes that also contain flour to thicken them.
|Per Serving||Regular Rum or Brandy Sauce* (same recipe made with sugar)||Low-Carb Rum or Brandy Sauce*|
|Net Carbs (i.e. minus: fibre counted separately, & polyols in erythritol)||9g||1g|
* Figures calculated using verified product information on the MyFitnessPal database.
Recipe for Low-Carb Rum or Brandy Sauce
Prep time: 5 mins
- 60g (¼ cup) butter
- 100ml (1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp) double/heavy cream
- 45ml (3 tbsp) dark rum or brandy, to taste
- 30g (2 tbsp) erythritol icing sugar substitute (e.g. Sukrin in UK; Swerve in US)
- ½ tsp xanthan gum powder (optional, but it gives a much better consistency when the sauce is warm)
- Put the butter in a small saucepan and melt over a gentle heat.
- Add the cream, alcohol and erythritol, and keep stirring while heating gently.
- When all is mixed and nearly at boiling point, whisk in the xanthan gum powder. (I have a small, cheap, battery-operated cappuccino frother whisk which is perfect for this – and useful for many other things as well).
- Continue heating and stirring until the sauce reaches boiling point and thickens, which should happen quite quickly.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Alternatively, leave to cool so that the butter re-solidifies, then give it all a stir again just before serving to give a butter cream consistency that is spoonable over your Christmas pudding.